Saturday 21 August – Tuesday 24 August 2010
- Occupy and set up the basecamp: 19–20 August
- Four days of training and direct action: 21–24 August
- Day of action against RBS: 23 August
- Return basecamp to nature: 25 August
The Camp for Climate Action is a grassroots movement taking direct action against the root causes of climate change. After mobilising and helping stop the proposed third runway at Heathrow and a new coal fired power station at Kingsnorth, we’re growing into a mass movement to reclaim our future from government and profit-hungry corporations.
This year we’re targeting the Royal Bank of Scotland, and their global headquarters in Edinburgh.
Last year RBS were bailed out with £50 billion of public money. This bank is one of the world’s largest investors in oil, gas and coal. From tar sands extraction in Canada to coal infrastructure here in the UK, we’re paying to trash our future. These projects are not just causing catastrophic climate change, but destroying the lives and livelihoods of people across the globe. Meanwhile, we’re told there is no money left and we should be braced for decades of public sectors cuts.
Ecological destruction is built into the mechanics of the financial system, with communities disenfranchised from their own futures. This is why, in August, people from across the UK will be converging to take back the power and Break the Bank!
Our sustainable and collectively-organised basecamp will give you the chance to learn, train up, and meet like minded individuals. Exciting action plans are currently in the plotting stages, so watch this space.
The Camp for Climate Action is made up of people like you – check out www.climatecamp.org.uk to find out how to get involved.
SPREAD THE WORD
- Please forward this email!
- Invite your friends to the facebook event: www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=13436884...
- All-new flyers and stickers for the camp are here: www.climatecamp.org.uk/actions/edinburg...
- The just-out ‘Never Mind the Bankers’ RBS newspaper is here: www.climatecamp.org.uk/actions/edinburg...
COME TO THE NEXT UK GATHERING
- The next planning gathering for this summer’s camp will be in Edinburgh from 3-4 July. Gatherings are a chance to make decisions about the camp and get involved in the working groups that make the camp happen. Everyone’s welcome – full info here: www.climatecamp.org.uk/get-involved/nat...
COME TO THE RBS TEACH-IN
- Tool up on RBS at our teach-in in Leeds on 17 July: www.climatecamp.org.uk/actions/edinburg...
GET INVOLVED IN YOUR LOCAL GROUP
- We’ve got groups and neighbourhoods around the country. Details here: www.climatecamp.org.uk/get-involved/loc...
GET IN TOUCH WITH WORKING GROUPS
- Working groups are the way we organise things, and they need you. Details here: www.climatecamp.org.uk/get-involved/wor...
- Try firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com