Software RAID and Encrypted Filesystem Benchmarks¶
- What is the performance of RAID1 and RAID5?
- How much load do RAID1 and RAID5 put on the cpu?
- Does a busy bus affect RAID more than plain disks?
- What is the performance of dmcrypt and loopaes?
- How much load do dmcrypt and loopaes put on the cpu?
- What is the perfomance of software RAID combined with dmcrypt or loopaes?
- Which is the better scheduler, deadline or anticipatory?
HP Netserver lp1000r
Dual 933 Mhz CPU
1.75 GB RAM
3 × 74 GB SCSI, 10K RPM
kernel 2.6.8 single cpu
Both tests use bonnie++ to test the disks.
- Files Test: create, destroy, and stat 20,000 files in sequential and random order. File sizes are random between 0K and 15k. All files are created in a single directory.
- IO Test: read, write, rewrite, and seek in three 1GB size files.
- Load: all tests are starting with 0 cpu load. Load was then measured every 2 seconds for the duration of the test and averaged over all measurements.
Overall, what it the relative penalty of RAID and an encrypted filesystem? This chart gives you some idea.NOTE: Unfortunately, the tests for this chart were made using an un-optimized kernel, so it may exaggerate the expense of CPU intensive activity, such as software raid and encrypted filesystems. All the other tests on these pages were run with a 686 optimized kernel. Maybe someday we will re-run these as well.