- BikeBike Summary
- 501c3 Update
- Subcommittee Updates
- lease update
- preliminary discussion exploring idea of volunteer youth EAB mentorship. (? if people are interested ? OR setting a date & time for the next programming committee meeting where we can decide on a proposal for altering Free Ride’s programming to be more youth friendly.)
- G20 climate camp – free ride presence? (a sort of sustainability fair is being organized…free ride could have a table or workshop or something)
- For-Profit Policy
- Proposal from Adam Wolfson (See attached)
- Where did the “old heads” go?
Sub Committee Report Backs¶
- Positive spin, looking for instructors (2 Tuesdays/month for 6 months)
- Good high profile events
- Worked on fix for sales to offset costs
- May get interns year round (possibility)
- Would work better in the future if the program was spread out over more weeks
- People don’t actually thing their bicycle is broken!
- Can get good ideas from the program run by “Community Cycles”
- Look into doing site-specific publicity each week
- Extend drop-in classes?
- Have classes some other night?
- Look at class attendance stats to help make decision?
- Classes (Drop-in)
- Always have had at least one person, sometimes they fill completely => Large range of attendance
- Many people have been volunteering for the class fee
- 7:30 class seems to have more attendance
- There is interest in looking into long-term relationship with the Women’s shelter
- Plan to meet with Kitty and discuss a report on all finances
- Rachel feels good with the treasurer role. Amazing job so far!
- Rolled out a new tag system
- New forms (Fix for sale, library bike)
- Bulletin board w/ photos and other improvements
- Esp. done EAB
- Old forms?
- Remove antiquated forms: cross them out and turn them into scrap paper
- Can departed EAB/etc. forms be recycled once basic #’s are recorded?
- G-tech to share Internet
- Will is going to contact them
- Call consolidated about commercial DSL?
- Rachel is on that
- G-tech to share Internet
- Voice mail pwd has been recovered and is going to be shared w/ the group
- Shannon is willing to work w/ us & is going to take a look over it (along w/ our comments and suggestions) after the big pour
- Send edited comments to CJ
- Will is going to do this
- Duq. is working on it, interesting process
- $600-$1000 local state and federal legal fees for filing
- Council is OK with proposals
- Medic training:
- Suggest that Free Ride is not the best place, but as a last resort it may be used. Outdoor training can not take place in the parking lot and should instead be done at nearby Westinghouse Park.
- Sustainability Fair
- Sep 20-25, some interest in Free Ride presence. Interested people will coordinate
- Bike build: OK w/ staff to bottom-line building and taking of Huffy bikes
- May want variable priced deposits to reflect bike quality
- Cheap bikes can be made into library bikes for $20.00 deposit if they are safe
- Council agrees
- Store cash in the pink envelope. Use the ad hoc system for now.
- Consider putting “Property of Free Ride” onto library bikes, not necessary howver
- Note: This conversation was hard to follow so I just jotted down a few points**
- We recognize that good people are now gone
- Tons of open questions
- Why are people not back from the 2008-2009 winter?
- Engage PGH people to get back involved?
- Invite people to anonymously comment & give feedback
- What else do people think
- Winter stuff
- Retreat for the winter?
- Reflect on FR overall focus?
- Programming during winter? Opein in the winter?
- What’s the social benefit?
- How does this help Africa?
- Will people in Ghana benefit?
- More details on the bike resale?
- We may want to instill a max profit margin
- What is his expected profit margin?
- What is Adam’s connection to Ghana?
- Who are the entrepreneurs and mechanics?
- Is the tax stuff legit?
- Ask for concrete information about where the bikes go/end up
- Advise him to keep track of the first batch of free bikes so that he can better answer this question for future bikes
- Let us know how Free Ride has affected the local community
- Promised some bike before the policy
- See policy for future bikes/parts
- Bike purchase: Anyone can use volunteer hours to buy a bicycle or frame on the spot if they use hours that have already been logged.
- Pay legal filing fees for the 501c3 status?
- For profit policy as worded in Caroline’s most recent revision?
- Proposal for next meeting on extending drop-in classes
- How many youth students during the summer?
- Get more stickers
- Get photos to Rachel for the Bulletin Board
- Pursue Internet options
- Send out voice-mail info
- Send lease w/ edited comments to CJ
- Need to get more stickers
- Make a new screen
- Morgan volunteered for this action
- Reminder: take photos of people with EAB projects
- Post the policy on the web & wherever appropriate
- Let Adam know he can get the few bikes we set aside & that the new policy is in place for any further collaboration he may have with Free Ride
I added the last two topics.
Notes are posted. Feel free to comment, edit or add.