General Plan and Time-line
The goal is to plan, test and offer a course on programming for social-justice-motivated students. This course would deal with programming basics, application design, usability, testing, documentation as well as the various tools.¶
- Winter 2008: Test Run
- Offer a Socy30B section or Socy group tutorial for 6-8 students interested in basic programming or some aspect of application design and programming. This is to prepare the instructors with a test experience that will lead to a full course offering in Spring.
- Spring 2008: 5 unit Socy Course
- Programming for Social Justice
Principles and Concepts¶
- Hacker Ethic
- Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS)
- Design Principles
- Agile Methods www.agilemanifesto.org
- Model View Controller
- Basic Ruby programming
- Version Control
Books and Readings¶
free software, hacker ethic
- Hacker Ethic
- Eric Raymond’s Cathedral and the Bazaar
- Biella’s short talk on the anthropology of the hacker ethic
- floss comic book from sarai
principles of design
- Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity
- Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
- principles of design
- Learn to Program (Chris Pine)
- Rails Social Networking book (Apress)?
- free documentation at ruby-lang.org
Ideas for Projects¶
- Meeting scheduler
- Grants/Scholarship DB
- Asset Manager / File sharer
- Maps or other mashups?
Class Outline and Paths¶
replaced with software page.
Hello. This is important information for me. Thank you for laying everything out in such detail. I am studying to be a programmer, but I want to take an additional course. I feel like I lack knowledge in some areas. In such cases, I turn to programmingassignment.net/sql-homework-help/ This company employs specialists who help me with my homework. Thanks to the additional explanation of these guys, I get to know the world of programming better. They also have a professional and very friendly support team.
Why do you need programming assignment assistance ? The foundations of programming are being built-on by 80% of the items you use every day. You are surrounded by programming approaches that most people aren’t even aware of, in everything from a refrigerator’s cooling system to grocery store escalators! Many students that enrol in courses connected to programming in order to become software programmers and make a good living have contributed to the field’s expanding importance. They encounter one obstacle, though: assignments. Because of this, we strive to provide students with the in-depth information necessary to complete such challenging tasks with our programming assignment help. Our programming assignment help has completed and helped thousands of students. for more info:https://www.assignment.world/programming-assignment-help/