This page is for tracking projects working on trying to replace the proprietary firmware on Baseboard Management Controllers (BMC). They are very integrated with the system and can spy on busses, console, have DMA access, etc. A backdoor or compromise would give an attacker full access to everything.
- linux.conf.au/schedule/30130/view_talk?day=thursday (video article)
- Source for BMC firmware on Intel boards
- dell iDRAC7 source, DRAC docs
- FOSS tools for configuring proprietary BMC firmware:
- Vendor selling a FOSS + hardware solution www.coreipm.com (does software work on other BMCs?)
- Multi-vendor replacement for IPMI www.redfishspecification.org
- Facebook project to FOSS all the things www.opencompute.org
- IBM launched, LF managed OpenBMC www.openbmc.org
- Possibly interesting is the FOSS network switch O/S, Cumulus Linux, maybe it could eventually be used for this sort of thing (or openwrt, etc).