a.k.a. etiquette (though that can also mean decorum), politeness
There’s “common courtesy” and then there’s the local dialect of courtesy-signals which can be hard to learn (sometimes it’s hard to even determine what the local dialect is).
Virtues possibly in tension¶
How to acquire or strengthen it¶
Notes and links¶
- Notes on Courtesy (David, LessWrong)
- Possible resource: Norine Dresser “Multicultural Manners: New Rules of Etiquette for a Changing Society” (2005)
- Skills You Need: Politeness
- One of the virtues of the Boy Scout Law
- One of the virtues discussed in Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics
- One of “The Seven Virtues of Bushido” according to Nitobe Inazo.