Is this really a stand-alone virtue, or more of a composite of virtues? There’s been a lot written in recent years about “grit”, usually in the context of grade-school education. Might be worth some research.
Virtues possibly in tension¶
How to acquire or strengthen it¶
Notes and links¶
- Character Lab grit playbook
- The Power and Problem of Grit (podcast)
- Is grit the magic elixir of good character?
- (persistence of effort, yes; consistency of interest, not so much)
- “I think Grit is the virtue of tenacity and discipline combined with determination. Grit/willpower/tenacity/determination may be synonymous. What they get ya: The tendency to continue, when either flights of fancy or boredom or adversity or failure get in the way. Seeing things through to their end is a great virtue in practicing until one is over the novice hump.” ―B.H.