a.k.a. Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware, etc.
Windows Defender is built into Windows 10 and provides Malware protection by default; just run your UPDATES
Most devices include Anti-Malware protection as part of their UPDATES
It is generally more important to UPDATE than to add additional layers of protection.
Multiple Anti-Malware software that is designed to work alone may even conflict and attempt to detect and remove each other!
Backblaze - The 3-2-1 Backup Strategy
A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite.
2 of which are local but on different mediums:
at least 1 copy offsite:
- Device(s) stored in different physical location(s) far enough apart to avoid simultaneous loss/theft
- Other Cloud Storage Providers (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc.)
- Backblaze – Paid service: Never lose a file again. Get unlimited cloud backup for your Mac or PC.
Make sure these backups are either in your 3-2-1 Backup Strategy or an equal/better solution.
- Cake – Free End of Life Planning
- CryptoParty – CryptoParties are free and open for everyone, but especially for those without prior knowledge, who haven’t yet attended one.
- New York CryptoParty Network
- EFF Surveillance Self-Defense – Surveillance Self-Defense: TIPS, TOOLS AND HOW-TOS FOR SAFER ONLINE COMMUNICATIONS
- The Coalition Against Stalkerware – convened in 2019 in order to facilitate communication between those organizations working to combat domestic violence and the security community.
- Security Checklist – An open source checklist of resources designed to improve your online privacy and security.
- privacytools.io – Provides knowledge and tools to protect your privacy against global mass surveillance.
- PrivacyHaus – Use secure apps and services to help keep your privacy intact.
- Prism Break – Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore and Tempora. Stop governments from spying on you by encrypting your communications and ending your reliance on proprietary services.
- Plain Text Project - Tools – This is an ever-expanding list of tools that can help you work and live more efficiently in plain text.
- Signal – Fast, simple, secure. Privacy that fits in your pocket.
- ProtonMail – Secure Encrypted Email Based in Switzerland.
- Keybase – Secure groups, files, and chat for everyone! 250 gigabytes free!
- Riot – a universal secure chat app entirely under your control. (Powered by Matrix.org)
- Briar – Tor/Bluetooth Secure messaging, anywhere. (Android only)
- Wickr – $0*up to 10 registered users. For individuals and small teams wanting a secure workspace.
Secure File Storage / Sharing¶
- Keybase – Secure groups, files, and chat for everyone! 250 gigabytes free!
- Cryptomator – Free client-side encryption for your cloud files. Open source software: No backdoors, no registration.
- Boxcryptor – Allows you to create and use local device-only encrypted vaults without requiring an account.
- Syncthing – Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized.
- VeraCrypt – VeraCrypt is a free open source disk encryption software for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Security Plan (Threat Modeling)¶
- Jumbo – Jumbo is your Privacy Assistant.
- Internet Archive – Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
- NeverSSL – This website is for when you try to open Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc on a wifi network, and nothing happens. Type “http://neverssl.com” into your browser’s url bar, and you’ll be able to log on.
- RiseUp – Provides online communication tools for people and groups working on liberatory social change.
- RiseUp Pad – Real-time group collaboration of text documents. Riseup does not store IP addresses, we require https, and pads are automatically destroyed after 30 days of inactivity.
- JotForm – Great alternative to Google Forms and features Encrypted Forms!
- CryptPad – CryptPad is a private-by-design alternative to popular office tools and cloud services. All the content stored on CryptPad is encrypted before being sent, which means nobody can access your data unless you give them the keys (not even us).
- Umbrella – Security First’s flagship Umbrella app gives you free digital and physical security advice when you need it most.
- iVerify – iVerify monitors your device security, notifies you when an issue is detected, and provides actionable steps to take to mitigate any risks. Paid App: $2.99, iOS Only
- Abine Blur – Simply better passwords, payments, & privacy.
- Abine DeleteMe – Because it’s too easy for anyone to find you.
- How to: Enable Two-factor Authentication
- Authy – Google Authenticator with Backups
- Authy 2FA Guides – Complete guides on how to enable 2FA with Authy
- KeePassXC – KeePassXC allows me to store my TOTP secrets. Doesn’t this alleviate any advantage of two-factor authentication?
- FreeOTP – Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) App for TOTP (Google Authenticator) and HOTP One-Time Passcodes (OTP)
- Turn On 2FA – Provides an explanation of 2FA and how it protects online accounts from compromise as well as a directory of step-by-step tutorials on enabling the security feature on 100s of top websites.
- Two Factor Auth (2FA) – List of websites and whether or not they support 2FA.
- USB Dongle Authentication – List of websites and whether or not they support One Time Passwords (OTP) or Universal 2nd Factor (U2F).
Remember to run a BACKUP before Updates to avoid potential data loss!
- iOS Software Update
- iOS App Store Updates
- Android OS Updates
- Google Play App Updates
- Windows Update
- Windows Store Updates
- macOS Software Update
- Mac App Store Updates
- Chrome OS Updates
- Chrome Updates
- Firefox Updates
- How to Update Your Router’s Firmware
UEFI / BIOS / Firmware Updates¶
Apple, Microsoft Surface, and Google Chromebooks perform these updates through their built-in regular update applications.
- HP Support Assistant
- Lenovo System Update
- Dell Update
- ASUS Live Update
- Gigabyte Q-Flash / @Bios
- MSI biosflash
- ASRock Latest BIOS Update
If a device or program have become Unsupported / End of Life / Obsolete you should fully upgrade/replace ASAP.
- EFF - Choosing the VPN that’s right for you
- RiseupVPN – Personal VPN service for censorship circumvention, location anonymization and traffic encryption.
- ProtonVPN – High-speed Swiss VPN that safeguards your privacy.
- Mullvad VPN – In a society increasingly determined to erode that right, a fast, trustworthy and easy-to-use VPN is a good first step toward reclaiming it
- Firefox Private Network – Protect the connection for your whole device, including all apps.
- Firefox – Firefox is made by Mozilla, the non-profit champions of a healthy internet.
- Firefox Focus – A dedicated privacy browser with tracking protection and content blocking for your smartphone (iOS & Android)
- DuckDuckGo – The search engine that doesn’t track you.
- Cliqz – Cliqz develops digital key technologies as a European alternative to the market dominating US platforms. These include independent search engine, browser and privacy technologies as well as new techniques for responsible advertising and statistical data collection for the benefit of all users.
Web Browser Extensions / Add-ons¶
- uBlock Origin
- Privacy Badger
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Firefox Multi-Account Containers
- Firefox Facebook Container
Web Browsing: Anonymous¶
- Tor Browser Bundle – Tor Browser contains everything you need to safely browse the Internet.
- OnionShare – Open source tool that lets you securely and anonymously share a file of any size.