- How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Back up or restore data on your Android device
- Windows 10 File History
- macOS Time Machine
- Linux rsync / grsync
- gmvault – Backup and restore your Gmail account at will.
- Backblaze – Paid service: Never lose a file again. Get unlimited cloud backup for your Mac or PC.
- CryptoParty – CryptoParties are free and open for everyone, but especially for those without prior knowledge, who haven’t yet attended one.
- New York CryptoParty Network
Browser Extensions / Add-ons¶
- uBlock Origin
- Privacy Badger
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Firefox Multi-Account Containers
- Firefox Facebook Container
Devices / Hardware¶
1) Dedicated Service / Program¶
Browser Extensions/Add-ons, Two-Factor Authentication options, strong password generators, account based sharing, import/export:
- LastPass – Remembers all your passwords, so you don’t have to.
- Dashlane – Safe, simple way to store and fill passwords and personal information.
- 1Password – Save your passwords and log in to sites with a single click. It’s that simple.
A file that is has to be saved and backed up manually, no sharing, Yubico only/limited/no Two-Factor support:
- KeePass – Free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.
- KeePassXC – KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, the cross-platform port of KeePass for Windows. Every feature works cross-platform and was thoroughly tested on multiple systems to provide users with the same look and feel on every supported operating system.
- MiniKeePass – Free iOS KeePass client.
- KyPass – Paid iOS KeePass client with Dropbox and Google Drive sync.
- KeePassDroid – Free Android KeePass client.
2) Built-in Browser / Operating System Password Managers¶
No sharing! Requires use of a Sync service for automatic Cloud Storage/Backup. May not include a password generator, no import/export:
Diceware Passphrase Generators¶
Easier to remember/share; not all services/devices will accept passphrases, but when they do it is a great option:
- Diceware Generator – Diceware is used to generate cryptographically strong passphrases.
- passphraseme – A quick and simple cryptographically secure python script to generate high entropy passphrases using the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s wordlists, including their fandom-inspired wordlists.
- EFF Dice-Generated Passphrases – Manual, In Real Life generation of passphrases using dice. most secure
- Security Checklist – An open source checklist of resources designed to improve your online privacy and security.
- EFF Surveillance Self-Defence – Surveillance Self-Defense: TIPS, TOOLS AND HOW-TOS FOR SAFER ONLINE COMMUNICATIONS
- Prism Break – Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore and Tempora. Stop governments from spying on you by encrypting your communications and ending your reliance on proprietary services.
- privacytools.io – Provides knowledge and tools to protect your privacy against global mass surveillance.
- Signal – Fast, simple, secure. Privacy that fits in your pocket.
- ProtonMail – Secure Encrypted Email Based in Switzerland.
- Keybase – Imagine a Slack for the whole world, except end-to-end encrypted across all your devices.
- Riot – a universal secure chat app entirely under your control. (Powered by Matrix.org)
- Briar – Tor/Bluetooth Secure messaging, anywhere. (Android only)
Secure File Storage / Sharing¶
- Cryptomator – Free client-side encryption for your cloud files. Open source software: No backdoors, no registration.
- Keybase – Imagine a Team Dropbox where the server can’t leak your files or be hacked.
- Syncthing – Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized.
- VeraCrypt – VeraCrypt is a free open source disk encryption software for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Security Plan (Risk Assessment / Threat Modeling)¶
- Internet Artchive – Internet Archive is a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
- NeverSSL – This website is for when you try to open Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc on a wifi network, and nothing happens. Type “http://neverssl.com” into your browser’s url bar, and you’ll be able to log on.
- RiseUp – Provides online communication tools for people and groups working on liberatory social change.
- RiseUp Pad – Real-time group collaboration of text documents. Riseup does not store IP addresses, we require https, and pads are automatically destroyed after 30 days of inactivity.
- JotForm – Great alternative to Google Forms and features Encrypted Forms!
- Tor Browser Bundle – Tor Browser contains everything you need to safely browse the Internet.
- OnionShare – Open source tool that lets you securely and anonymously share a file of any size.
- Tails – Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity.
- Whonix – Whonix is a desktop operating system designed for advanced security and privacy.
- Authy – Google Authenticator with Backups
- Turn On 2FA – Provides an explanation of 2FA and how it protects online accounts from compromise as well as a directory of step-by-step tutorials on enabling the security feature on 100s of top websites.
- Two Factor Auth (2FA) – List of websites and whether or not they support 2FA.
- Krypton – Browser extension that allows you smartphone to become a FIDO U2F key.
- USB Dongle Authentication – List of websites and whether or not they support One Time Passwords (OTP) or Universal 2nd Factor (U2F).
- iOS Software Update
- iOS App Store Updates
- Android OS Updates
- Google Play App Updates
- Windows Update
- Windows Store Updates
- macOS Software Update
- Mac App Store Updates
- Chrome OS Updates
- Chrome Updates
- Firefox Updates
- How to Update Your Router’s Firmware
If a device or program have become Unsupported / End of Life / Obsolete you should fully upgrade/replace ASAP.
- EFF - Choosing the VPN that’s right for you
- ProtonVPN – High-speed Swiss VPN that safeguards your privacy.
- GhostiFi – Ditch your traditional VPN service provider and get faster speeds, dedicated, clean IPv4 addresses, and root access on your own VPS VPN!
- Algo – Set up a personal IPSEC VPN in the cloud