Thoughts we feel need addressing. I would like to see this distributed Crabgrass-wide to start a discussion. I simply ask that it be distributed as-is, and let comments serve to start the conversation.
An open letter to Occupy Eugene regarding the State of the Movement
- As newcomers, we are seeing challenges in communications/interpersonal relationships within OE that we feel have the potential of threatening OE’s viability as the umbrella organization for the movement of our times.
- One possible threat scenario, how do we avoid becoming just another organization that is used to fill in gaps of social need created by the government and current economic system, resulting in marginalizing OE as a movement for change.
- We are presented with the challenge of creating and operating a leaderless, non-hierarchical movement. This said, we believe a movement such as this, if it lacks an agreed upon intention to create a dynamic structure that OE’s committees can effectively operate under, its very existence is threatened. We need to be organized to mobilize.
- We understand internal conflicts will arise due to differences of opinion, hurt feelings, and perceptions of not being heard. If we do not resolve to work out these conflicts, and incorporate change within OE’s service structure (or lack thereof), we run the risk of not being a movement that can effectively threaten the status quo.
- We believe OE must look to the examples of current and past successful leaderless organizations, and focus our intention to incorporate the ideas that made them successful. By having this intention, we will ensure OE’s momentum to remain effective, relevant, and attractive in the eyes of the general population. Without a degree acceptance from the general public, OE will constantly struggle to attract, retain, and develop the resource it needs to survive – us!
- Suggestions Towards a Solution
- A presentation on leaderless, non-hierarchical movements to highlight the advantages, and pitfalls can start a dialogue to address OE’s current and future internal challenges.
- Each committee would nominate 2 representatives for the purpose of regular inter-committee communication, and participation in policy creation and review sessions.
- Representatives would be committed to faithfully giving voice to their committee’s consensus, accurately relaying the results of inter-committee discussions, and dedicated to maintaining effective inter-committee communications.
- Every attempt should be made to resolve interpersonal conflicts and not allow those conflicts to affect the progression of OE’s goals.
- Outside mediation should be a tool of last resort to resolve conflicts between representatives if the parties involved cannot resolve the conflict.
If not us, then who? We must come together and intend on keeping the umbrella of OE a viable, dynamic, self-evolving organization to provide a unified voice to our individual areas of passion. To appropriate Patrick Henry (with all respect to individual beliefs) – “Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”
Sincerely, with Love,
Tyrone Russ and Inola Jones-Russ
improved communications and use of the resources developed for repairing communication breakdowns is a good goal.
Fergus is working on a coordinating council idea. speak with him for more info.
Thanks maryb, we’ll do that!
thanks for your contributions. may I post this to OE discussion lit serve since no one appears to visit riseup these days and this is of too much value not to get heard by a larger audience.
Hi Mary, sorry for the slow reply – we were offline yesterday. Absolutely, that would be great. I haven’t been looped in to the listserve at this point. I would appreciate it if you could add Inola & me, or put me in touch with whomever is in charge of this.
Tyrone and Inola, where do you see GAs fitting into this, if at all?