- mercy /clemency / indulgence / leniency
- nursing a grudge
Virtues possibly in tension¶
How to acquire or strengthen it¶
Notes and links¶
- “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.” —MLK, Jr.
- “Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a constant attitude.” —MLK, Jr.
- “Thinkst thou it honourable for a noble man / still to remember wrongs?” (Shakespeare, Coriolanus)
- “Let us, then, try what love will do; for if men do once see that we love them, we should soon find they would not harm us. Force may subdue, but love gains; and he that forgives first, wins the laurel. If I am even with my enemy, the debt is paid; but if I forgive it, I oblige him for ever.” ―William Penn