a.k.a. firmness, determination, perseverance, persistence, steadfastness, tenacity
“Giving up” is a coping strategy for dealing with stress. If you over-rely on it, the solution might be to strengthen some of the many other possible coping strategies.
- being wishy-washy
- the fine line between this and stubbornness perhaps requires discernment to discover.
Virtues possibly in tension¶
How to acquire or strengthen it¶
Notes and links¶
- One of Ben Franklin’s virtues: “Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.” ―Benjamin Franklin
- One of The VIA Institute’s "Character Strengths" (their page)
- “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” ―Maya Angelou
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” —MLK, Jr.
- “Little strokes fell great oaks.” ―Benjamin Franklin (as Poor Richard)