Translation of help.riseup.net¶
Here you will find outdated information on how the translation of help documentation is handled.
What this is¶
Riseup’s help documentation is collected at help.riseup.net, these help documents describe many of the most common questions that we get. These range from how to setup common mail clients, questions about spam, documents about the collective, etc.
is was done¶
(we are in the process of moving riseup help into crabgrass, so this process is out-of-date)
- you must first have a riseup email account
- once you have a riseup email account, you will need to request ‘translator’ status for your account. To request this, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out a help ticket
- go to the page you want to translate on help.riseup.net, make sure you are visiting the https version of the page, and not http! If you visit the http page, your riseup email password will be compromised!!
- type “Alt-e” in firefox/mozilla or put ?edit in the url for other web browsers (for example: help.riseup.net/about-us?edit)
- You will be asked for a login/password the first time you go to edit a page, use your riseup username and password, you will not be able to login here if you do not have translator status!
- In the lower left hand corner there is a drop-down menu, change it from English to the language that you are going to translate to. Be sure you do this before you make any edits!!
- Look at the top of the edit box, if there is “TRANSLATION IN PROGRESS” at the top, then someone else is working on this page right now, pick another. If it doesn’t say this, then nobody is working on it.
- Put “TRANSLATION IN PROGRESS” at the top and then click the “save” button right away, this saves a draft, but doesn’t put this text up on the site. This way this will show up if someone else tries to edit.
- Translate the text to your language.
- When finished. click “publish”.
- Click the Page Info tab at the very top and then translate the ‘title’, ‘content’, and ‘description’ into your language (we dont use the other ones).
A couple of important notes¶
- Make sure the language displayed in the lower left hand corner is the
one you intend to edit.
- do not change the ‘page name’ (!!)
- the language links on the top of the edit window will show if the
english version has been modified since the last time a translated
version has been saved.
English, French, German, Portugese, and Spanish are supported. German does not have anything translated yet, however.
To add an additional language to help.riseup.net, someone with sudo access to admin.riseup.net must edit
admin.riseup.net:/var/www/help/b.site, and add the proper 2 letter code to the line
bc. languages = en es pt fr de
What about Russian? I have completely translated user.riseup.net now.
tzl: let me ask on #crabgrass if there is a “correct” way to do this. previously, we have been creating sections for each language with this markup:
When i tried to use this macro on spanish translation of GoogleSharing, it doesn’t work right, i’ve to make the Toc by hand. :/